I'm just another number here.. an American Soldier taking it day by day... from deployment to deployment. These are my stories, my intention is to make you feel the gritty reality, humor, and fear of being in the boots of a US troop. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Beginning

       Starting from the beginning…..The year was 1999 and it was a typical late summer day in Slidell, Louisiana. The rain lazily sprinkled down from the dark gray sky as I aimlessly wandered into a small local plaza near the less than desirable trailer park I had been residing in for the past several months. I didn’t want to ruin my only pair of good shoes so I decided that traveling barefoot would be best.  Minutes later I suddenly found myself across the street from an Army Recruiter office.  I thought to myself “hmmm…  why not?” After all I considered myself a grown man at the old wise age of 17 and maybe it was time for a change in my life. As I pushed the door open I immediately met what would be my future recruiter who greeted me with an infectious smile plastered on his face.  At his desk, I began to pour out my need to find adventure and a purpose in this world as he actively nodded and ensured me he could make my dreams a reality. The next day he came to my house with a new pair of shoes in one hand and papers in the other. Well, that pretty much sealed the deal.. in a matter of days I signed the contract that would ultimately take me on experiences across lands I could never even begin to imagine.    
"Ummm.... Can you get me into the Army?"

     I had a typical rough childhood, and Burger King had been my sole employer for the last 18 months.. That’s right I was dedicated to the King, but it was definitely time for a change I thought as I boarded the old military bus headed straight to Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. 
     I didn’t really know what to expect from the first day of Basic Training, but for some reason I didn’t foresee all the intense up close and personal yelling / spiting.  I kept telling myself “it’s OK.. these guys can’t hit you, so it won’t be that bad” That is until day 4 when in a room of thirty Soldiers a Drill Sergeant leaped over two rows of people to grasp my jaw with his mammoth hand and proceeded to slam my head into a stone wall. I had apparently smirked while filling out some random military documents, and that was most certainly not going to be tolerated. After that incident I became pretty scared to say the least.  Another incident occurred on the 8th week.. right before graduation all the recruits were learning how to properly fold our dress uniforms. The Drill Sergeant stated “OK, Privates, fold the left sleeve over the right”.  As I began my fold I felt an intense pressure on my head and multiple colors quickly followed. When my vision gradually started to come back into focus I saw one of the Drill Sergeants roaring at me at the top of his lungs “LEFT OVER RIGHT!!!”  I must have foolishly folded right over left. What was I thinking right?  That night I tightly wrapped myself up in my sheets while lying in bed and quietly shed a few salty tears thinking about how much I missed my old life as a civilian in Slidell, Louisiana.  As it turned out I did eventually complete basic training successfully and even was awarded a certificate for “Most Improved Soldier”… I guess those beatings worked…  (small side note: two of the three Drill Sergeants got brought up on assault charges 18 months later and received a court martial, turns out they were treating the whole platoon like punching bags)  I went on to AIT to become a Combat Engineer… sounds glorious doesn’t it?   And that readers is where the stories start getting interesting….
(December 1999)

1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable you had to put up with those drill sgts. I can't imagine your feelings that night. Very nice written, the whole thing.
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete